Something is seriously wrong with me. I was actually yelling at the TV as Collins missed yet another 3 point shot. How did I come to this?
It's all Jeremy's fault. It started last year during "March Madness". For some, as yet unknown reason, Jeremy was really excited to watch the KU Jayhawks' games. And being the supportive parents that Allan and I are, we indulged his curiosity. Having never actually seriously watched a basketball game (sorry Grandma I just wasn't paying any attention to all those Suns games we used to watch), my knowledge of the game was really limited. I knew you had to dribble with one hand and stay inside the black line. So, as we sat watching I noticed a little timer in the corner and said "What's that timer counting down for?". Jeremy gave me this look that said "my mom is dumber than a stump", sighed and said "that's the shot clock mom". Well, duh, everybody knows that. So we continued watching and I thought I was getting the hang of it when Jeremy started talking about somebody being in the key. Now, to my knowledge keys were for opening locks and not something a person could actually be inside. I asked Jeremy what he was talking about, he gave me that look again, sighed and shook his head as if to say "it's hopeless, she'll never get it".
Well, I am happy to report, that I have learned a lot. I am still not at the head of the class, but I know certain fouls when I see them. My favorite player is Tyrel Reed and Jeremy really likes Brady Morningstar. I still haven't figured out where Jeremy gets it from, after all he has two geeky, egghead parents who barely know which end of a bat to hold, and have never been into sports. I used to enjoy going to baseball games, and have even had the honor of being hit by a foul ball. I have been in Padres' Murphy stadium with 45,000 other screaming fans, and I cried when the Tigers didn't make it to the series. But basketball, never, not even when Charles Barkley was with the Suns (he still is for all I know).
I still don't understand why the jayhawk is named "Rock Chalk" and I don't want to get that look again, so I am content in my ignorance (unless someone fills me in, but don't let Jeremy know you did it :).
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Maybe you could find out at KUhistory.com.
Post a Comment