Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Usefulness

Tracy and I enjoy some alone time in the morning, after the middle and elementary school kids have left while Ben is still asleep, before she has to leave for the high school. Usually we just watch some TV, but not this morning. Instead, Tracy and I had a deep discussion about bugs. Yes, I said bugs. I was scratching a mosquito bite and she was lamenting our cats recovering from fleas. We both expressed the same sentiment, "What was God thinking when he created mosquitoes, fleas, ticks and chiggers?"

We decided that these vermin serve no purpose in balancing an ecosystem. Okay, so someone might argue that the fleas that carried the plague in 1300 Europe were helping out by transmitting a disease that reduced the (at the time) unsustainable human population. But, come on, famine would have done that too. No we just couldn't see what was the point of these pests.

Later in the day as I reflected, and yes did some reading about it, I decided that these little critters do indeed serve a purpose. While, no they are not necessary in maintaining a balanced ecosystem they can fuel the imagination and scientific discovery of we humans. Some find the way in which mosquitoes spread disease between animal species highly interesting. What if some day a chemical is found in a chigger that can cure cancer. Would we curse these little fiends or call them friend?

When I presented this argument to Tracy the next morning she laughed and said "You have got to be kidding. We can find other ways to ignite our imagination than bugs!" As I continue to scratch my bites, I might have to agree, do you?

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

most definitely I agree with you! I hate the annoying little pests, especially when they won't leave my sweet little boy alone! I think I am going to leave them out of my creation plan in the next life :)