Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mom's Trying to Poison Us!

I am sure anyone with kids has seen that suspicious glance from their child when handing them their plate. I'll admit that some days I take it better than others. I have been known to let my picky eaters go ahead and make themselves a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I have also insisted they eat what I have prepared or go hungry. Unfortunately, when they choose to go hungry I end up giving them something at 10pm because I can't take the whining any longer. Here are just a few of the excuses I have heard:

1. I only eat oatmeal that dad cooks. (Geez, you burn the oatmeal one time and you're branded for life)

2. I don't eat green beans that are too dark of a green color.

3. Have I had this before? Yes, last week, and you said you really liked it. I don't think so, it must have been one of your other kids.

4. I can't eat it if it had blood. (Notice the can't part, as if this is some kind of higher moral decision, not just a stubborn eater.)

5. What's that green stuff? Parsley. I don't eat food I can't spell.

6. I don't think it's supposed to look like that.

7. I only like the nugget part of the chicken.

8. I don't like potatoes, can't I just have some french fries.

9. I don't like muffins. Then call it a cupcake without the frosting. I only like the frosting.

10. And this is my favorite: I only eat macaroni and cheese at school. (As if school mac and cheese can in any way compare to Kraft!)

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

oh man!!! I don't look forward to hearing these excuses. Ro is already showing signs of a picky eater. But at least he seems to like Veggies!

Allan said...

Hey, my oatmeal is just better. What can I say?

Leslie said...

Yes, I know that dinner time ritual too. My favorite one was, "That tastes like yucky pie!" when we made her eat some apple sauce.

Scout said...

Actually the school's macaroni is way better than Kraft's. It's kind of like the velveeta kind

Ryan and Maria said...

Oh boy....it was a LOL moment on all of those. I've heard about 90% of that at our table and the one that gets me the most is the muffin one...dang kids!