Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Shades of Grey
I decided to paint some furniture that is currently green or gold, black. I didn't think that would be a problem. When I went to get the paint however, I learned that there are ten different shades of black. There is blue-black, purple-black, brown-black, green-black... you get the idea. Now, I just wanted black. But, there I stood paralyzed by the plethora of choices I was faced with. As human beings and especially as Americans, we relish our freedom of choice. After all, isn't the right to choose good or evil all part of God's plan. Sometimes though it's easy to become slowed down by the sheer number of choices we have to make each day. When to get up, which cereal is for breakfast, which diet soda to have, etc. I think we have all stood for 30 minutes in the shampoo isle trying to find just the right shampoo and conditioner. It's almost enough to make me want to just stay in bed. I think this may be one reason we become "creatures of habit". We like to sit in the same chairs (or pew for the lucky ones) at church, we use the same brand of toothpaste from infancy to death, we only eat brown sugar pop tarts, etc. It's not that we are boring, it's to keep from being slowed down by the choices. So, accept it, embrace it. Keep getting only strawberry Suave, Crest and Diet Coke. You'll save time, and you'll need that extra 30 minutes when it comes time to get some "black" paint!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I have thinking a lot about the choices we make everyday, too. I think it's because I just got done reading the Giver. What a very thought provoking book, huh? I, personally, hate making choices. Especially if it effects other people.
Strawberry Suave shampoo... ahhhh! Now there's a fine product.
Post a Comment